The above video is a sample of some of the training material we use whilst delivering this course.
You can find out about course booking details and more information on this course by following UKPIA Petrol Retail Course
This course is designed to provide an understanding of general health & safety including specific hazards associated with working in petrol retailing. It builds on the basic health and safety information of the Core Day programme by concentrating on risks specifically found with working on a Petrol Filling Station and allows delegates to recognise hazards, utilise control measures and safe working practices and maintain a safe working environment.
Working on petrol filling stations presents some special issues, not least the safety of the public.
This course provides basic information and areas of responsibility for health, safety and the environment to ensure that workers in the industry and particularly contractors working on forecourts are trained to meet specified standards.
On completion of the course delegates will:
- Demonstrate their understanding of the subjects by successfully completing each module assessment paper
- Appreciate how they personally can influence good standards within health safety & environment
- Understand the value of risk assessment and have the knowledge to recognise when changes to a generic assessment is required
- Understand the common hazards associated with working in this sector.
Who Should Attend
The SPA Safety Passport is a requirement for all contractors undertaking work on petrol filling stations.
DAY 1 – Core
• Setting the Scene Accidents
• Organising for Safety Responsibilities, duties and risk assessment, consultation and enforcement officers.
• Workplace Safety General workplace safety requirements, behavioural safety, fire safety, working at height, hidden services, asbestos, confined spaces, and display screen equipment.
• Plant & Machinery Hand held tools, electricity, and power tools .
• Health Hygiene, hazardous substances, effects of the sun, temperature, occupational diseases, manual handling, vibration, noise and stress .
• Procedures Safe systems of work, first aid requirements and occupational road accidents.
• The Environment Pollution and waste, employers and employees responsibilities,
Petrol Retail Day.
MODULE 1 – Hazards on a Petrol Filling Station
- Types of hazards
- Fuel hazards
- Fuel properties
- Restricted areas on a petrol forecourt
- Hazardous areas
- Zone classification
- Delivery hazards
- Vapour recovery
- Customer hazards
- Other hazards
- Contractor hazards
MODULE 2: Controlling Work on a Forecourt
- Safety method statements
- Clearance certificates
- Permits to work
- Task classification
- Setting up your safe place of work
- Sales building hazards
- Confined spaces
- Hot work
- Working at height
- – Roof work
- – Ladders
- – Mobile scaffold towers
- – Mobile elevated work platforms
- Environmental protection
- EXERCISE A mandatory exercise designed to add a practical element to the course. Part one delegates will complete a hazard spotting based exercise on a picture of a petrol station. Part two delegates will complete a risk assessment based on their own work task on that petrol station and, determine control measures to reduce risk.
Delegates successfully completing the course will receive a SPA Safety Passport photo ID card which is valid for three years.
In order to obtain a Sector Specific Card, candidates must hold the Core Day Accreditation. Simpleducks Ltd offer the Core as a separate course or as a combination of Core and Sector Specific.
Core Day Exemption
Anyone who has previously attended an SPA approved course of health and safety can apply for exemption.
The SPA passport scheme recognises that delegates who have completed and passed the following training courses within the last two years do not need to attend the SPA passport scheme Core Training – Day 1:
CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS), IOSH Managing Safely, IOSH Supervising Safely, IOSH Working Safely, CCNSG Passport to Safety, CIEH Basic Health and Safety/Level 2, FAS Safe Pass, Rentokil Pest Control ‘Health, Safety & Environment Module’, Construction Skills Register (Northern Ireland), NEBOSH Certificate (within the last two years does not apply for NEBOSH).
If you qualify for Core Day Exemption, you need only to attend Petrol Retail. Please call 0208 99 88825 to book this. You must provide evidence of exemption (i.e. copy course certificate) prior to attending the course. If you are unsure whether you’re entitled to an exemption please call 0208 99 88825.
This Course is delivered every Monday (Renewal) & Tuesday & Wednesday (2 day including Core) in London or we can deliver at your premises – call for rates. The cost is £138.00 for the Renewal and £195.00 for the two day course.
Your seat is reserved for 24 hours until payment is received in full. Paying online through PayPal is the safest and easiest way to ensure your seat is reserved. Alternatively, you can pay by calling 020 8998 8825 for credit or debit card payments. Please note, all administration costs and the cost of the safety passport card, including lunch and refreshments are included in the price. There are no other additional charges. Visit www.simpleducks/terms for full T&C’s.